How to find crashing problem (driver)



John Williams
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Ok, I upgraded my pc's motherboard to a new board and I can boot up to
Windows desktop and it starts loading the things on the taskbar and then I
get a blue screen crash.

I know...I know...you need to do a clean install...but humor me here. How
can I figure out what is trying to load and is causing it to crash?

I can go into msconfig and do selective startup and diagnostic startup and
it will boot into the desktop fine..no crashing.

petecee
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
"John Williams" wrote:

> Ok, I upgraded my pc's motherboard to a new board and I can boot up to
> Windows desktop and it starts loading the things on the taskbar and then I
> get a blue screen crash.
>
> I know...I know...you need to do a clean install...but humor me here. How
> can I figure out what is trying to load and is causing it to crash?
>
> I can go into msconfig and do selective startup and diagnostic startup and
> it will boot into the desktop fine..no crashing.

Check the error code when your "bluescreen" comes up, in the format
0x0000001E, check on knowledge base for your error number. It also guides you
on the general idea of hardware or software cause.

Good luck, you can spend a long time looking !!
Petecee

John Williams
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Thanks...but that usually isn't very much help. Normally MS just gives you
general info on most of those codes. I need to track down the actual cause.

Thanks again

"petecee" wrote:

>
>
> "John Williams" wrote:
>
> > Ok, I upgraded my pc's motherboard to a new board and I can boot up to
> > Windows desktop and it starts loading the things on the taskbar and then I
> > get a blue screen crash.
> >
> > I know...I know...you need to do a clean install...but humor me here. How
> > can I figure out what is trying to load and is causing it to crash?
> >
> > I can go into msconfig and do selective startup and diagnostic startup and
> > it will boot into the desktop fine..no crashing.
>
> Check the error code when your "bluescreen" comes up, in the format
> 0x0000001E, check on knowledge base for your error number. It also guides you
> on the general idea of hardware or software cause.
>
> Good luck, you can spend a long time looking !!
> Petecee

Kinell
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
"=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBXaWxsaWFtcw==?=" <John
Williams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:E31ECFD4-9612-4289-
BE2F-192D010B5394@microsoft.com:

> you need to do a clean install

A *repair* install usually sorts it out without losing settings,
programs and user data. Humour me :-)

Steve N.
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
John Williams wrote:
> Thanks...but that usually isn't very much help. Normally MS just gives you
> general info on most of those codes. I need to track down the actual cause.
>
> Thanks again

Post the contents of the blue screen here, we might be able to help you
track it down but my guess is probably to due with hardware drivers for
the motherboard and devices embedded in it. Usually a motherboard
upgrade requires a repair install of XP.

Humor us :)

Steve

>
> "petecee" wrote:
>
>
>>
>>"John Williams" wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Ok, I upgraded my pc's motherboard to a new board and I can boot up to
>>>Windows desktop and it starts loading the things on the taskbar and then I
>>>get a blue screen crash.
>>>
>>>I know...I know...you need to do a clean install...but humor me here. How
>>>can I figure out what is trying to load and is causing it to crash?
>>>
>>>I can go into msconfig and do selective startup and diagnostic startup and
>>>it will boot into the desktop fine..no crashing.
>>
>>Check the error code when your "bluescreen" comes up, in the format
>>0x0000001E, check on knowledge base for your error number. It also guides you
>>on the general idea of hardware or software cause.
>>
>>Good luck, you can spend a long time looking !!
>>Petecee

Richard Urban
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
Re-enable the items in msconfig/startup one at a time until you find the
problem.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"John Williams" <John Williams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E31ECFD4-9612-4289-BE2F-192D010B5394@microsoft.com...
> Ok, I upgraded my pc's motherboard to a new board and I can boot up to
> Windows desktop and it starts loading the things on the taskbar and then I
> get a blue screen crash.
>
> I know...I know...you need to do a clean install...but humor me here. How
> can I figure out what is trying to load and is causing it to crash?
>
> I can go into msconfig and do selective startup and diagnostic startup and
> it will boot into the desktop fine..no crashing.

R. McCarty
07-10-2005, 12:24 AM
If you did not perform a Repair install, your Device table has likely
got lots and lots of Phantom devices. You need to go to Device
Manager, Click View & tic/check "Show Hidden Devices". Expand
every category except Sound (or do it carefully) and remove all the
non-existent devices. Afterwards, get the latest Chipset driver for
your new motherboard and install. Your "BSOD" could be driver
related and not attributable to Startups & Watchdogs.

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:unTAbT1VFHA.3100@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Re-enable the items in msconfig/startup one at a time until you find the
> problem.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>
> If you knew as much as you think you know,
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>
>
> "John Williams" <John Williams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E31ECFD4-9612-4289-BE2F-192D010B5394@microsoft.com...
>> Ok, I upgraded my pc's motherboard to a new board and I can boot up to
>> Windows desktop and it starts loading the things on the taskbar and then
>> I
>> get a blue screen crash.
>>
>> I know...I know...you need to do a clean install...but humor me here.
>> How
>> can I figure out what is trying to load and is causing it to crash?
>>
>> I can go into msconfig and do selective startup and diagnostic startup
>> and
>> it will boot into the desktop fine..no crashing.
>
>


How to find crashing problem (driver)