System Up time



Scotch Monster %*}
07-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Hi, does anyone know how to tell how long a pc has been running for. I think
this one has been on for weeks.
Thanks.

Carey Frisch [MVP]
07-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Open the Command Prompt and type: SYSTEMINFO , and hit enter.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Scotch Monster" wrote:

| Hi, does anyone know how to tell how long a pc has been running for. I think
| this one has been on for weeks.
| Thanks.



---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
Tested on: 5/11/2005 9:23:01 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

Scotch Monster %*}
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Thx for that. Theres lots of cool info but
I still cant see the last system start up time. Any tips?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
news:uo5DEmpVFHA.2256@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Open the Command Prompt and type: SYSTEMINFO , and hit enter.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Scotch Monster" wrote:
>
> | Hi, does anyone know how to tell how long a pc has been running for. I
> think
> | this one has been on for weeks.
> | Thanks.
>
>
>
> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
> Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
> Tested on: 5/11/2005 9:23:01 PM
> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
> http://www.avast.com
>
>
>

T. Waters
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Sure, Monster:
Expand Software Environment (in the Left panel of System Info)
Click on Running Tasks
Certain tasks must run from the moment XP boots.
Explorer.exe is one of these.

Scotch Monster %*} wrote:
> Thx for that. Theres lots of cool info but
> I still cant see the last system start up time. Any tips?
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
> news:uo5DEmpVFHA.2256@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Open the Command Prompt and type: SYSTEMINFO , and hit enter.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>
>> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------
>>
>> "Scotch Monster" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, does anyone know how to tell how long a pc has been running
>>> for. I think this one has been on for weeks.
>>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>>
>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
>> Tested on: 5/11/2005 9:23:01 PM
>> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
>> http://www.avast.com

Carey Frisch [MVP]
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Look under "System Up Time" and subtract from today's date.
There is no log created when a system first booted up.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Scotch Monster" wrote:

| Thx for that. Theres lots of cool info but
| I still cant see the last system start up time. Any tips?



---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
Tested on: 5/11/2005 9:48:59 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

Doug Knox MS-MVP
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, System Up Time. Utility runs in the System Tray.

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
--------------------------------
Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Scotch Monster %*}" <scotchmonster@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e03VYjpVFHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi, does anyone know how to tell how long a pc has been running for. I think
> this one has been on for weeks.
> Thanks.
>
>

DevilsPGD
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
In message <#a02i0pVFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl> "T. Waters"
<@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote:

>Sure, Monster:
>Expand Software Environment (in the Left panel of System Info)
>Click on Running Tasks
>Certain tasks must run from the moment XP boots.
>Explorer.exe is one of these.

Explorer.exe only launches when a user logs in, and it will terminate
when the user logs out. It is not useful for determining system uptime.


--
Do not taunt zombie badgers

T. Waters
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <#a02i0pVFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl> "T. Waters"
> <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote:
>
>> Sure, Monster:
>> Expand Software Environment (in the Left panel of System Info)
>> Click on Running Tasks
>> Certain tasks must run from the moment XP boots.
>> Explorer.exe is one of these.
>
> Explorer.exe only launches when a user logs in, and it will terminate
> when the user logs out. It is not useful for determining system
> uptime.

So true, and thanks.
So, having failed to find "System Uptime" in System Information, and I
opened the entire tree, where the heck is it?

WTC
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
news:e7Zc%233qVFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> DevilsPGD wrote:
>> In message <#a02i0pVFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl> "T. Waters"
>> <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sure, Monster:
>>> Expand Software Environment (in the Left panel of System Info)
>>> Click on Running Tasks
>>> Certain tasks must run from the moment XP boots.
>>> Explorer.exe is one of these.
>>
>> Explorer.exe only launches when a user logs in, and it will terminate
>> when the user logs out. It is not useful for determining system
>> uptime.
>
> So true, and thanks.
> So, having failed to find "System Uptime" in System Information, and I
> opened the entire tree, where the heck is it?
>
>


In the Run dialog box (Start > Run) type

cmd /k systeminfo

--
William

Shenan Stanley
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Scotch Monster %*} wrote:
> Hi, does anyone know how to tell how long a pc has been running for.
> I think this one has been on for weeks.

Assuming Windows XP Professional:
Create a batch script.. Call it "uptime.cmd".

Put this in it:

@systeminfo | find "System Up Time:"
@pause

Run the script.
There's your uptime.

This works as well:
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/management/uptime/default.asp

(Try the /s switch.. Gives a history and more.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--

T. Waters
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
WTC wrote:
> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
> news:e7Zc%233qVFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> DevilsPGD wrote:
>>> In message <#a02i0pVFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl> "T. Waters"
>>> <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Sure, Monster:
>>>> Expand Software Environment (in the Left panel of System Info)
>>>> Click on Running Tasks
>>>> Certain tasks must run from the moment XP boots.
>>>> Explorer.exe is one of these.
>>>
>>> Explorer.exe only launches when a user logs in, and it will
>>> terminate when the user logs out. It is not useful for determining
>>> system uptime.
>>
>> So true, and thanks.
>> So, having failed to find "System Uptime" in System Information, and
>> I opened the entire tree, where the heck is it?
>>
>>
>
>
> In the Run dialog box (Start > Run) type
>
> cmd /k systeminfo

"systeminfo" was not recognized.
Just wanting to know where in the System Information tree I should navigate
to in order to find Uptime. Using the Search function within System Info did
not find it.

Shenan Stanley
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
T. Waters wrote:
> "systeminfo" was not recognized.
> Just wanting to know where in the System Information tree I should
> navigate to in order to find Uptime. Using the Search function within
> System Info did not find it.

Assuming Windows XP Professional:
Create a batch script.. Call it "uptime.cmd".

Put this in it:

@systeminfo | find "System Up Time:"
@pause

Run the script.
There's your uptime.

This works as well:
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/management/uptime/default.asp

(Try the /s switch.. Gives a history and more.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--

WTC
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
news:e8$LDLrVFHA.2572@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> WTC wrote:
>> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
>> news:e7Zc%233qVFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> DevilsPGD wrote:
>>>> In message <#a02i0pVFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl> "T. Waters"
>>>> <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Sure, Monster:
>>>>> Expand Software Environment (in the Left panel of System Info)
>>>>> Click on Running Tasks
>>>>> Certain tasks must run from the moment XP boots.
>>>>> Explorer.exe is one of these.
>>>>
>>>> Explorer.exe only launches when a user logs in, and it will
>>>> terminate when the user logs out. It is not useful for determining
>>>> system uptime.
>>>
>>> So true, and thanks.
>>> So, having failed to find "System Uptime" in System Information, and
>>> I opened the entire tree, where the heck is it?
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> In the Run dialog box (Start > Run) type
>>
>> cmd /k systeminfo
>
> "systeminfo" was not recognized.
> Just wanting to know where in the System Information tree I should
> navigate
> to in order to find Uptime. Using the Search function within System
> Info did
> not find it.
>
>


You will not find Uptime in System Information (msinfo32.exe).

Are you running XP Home? I do not know if XP Home supports "systeminfo",
maybe only XP Pro does.

Systeminfo
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/systeminfo.mspx

--
William

Ken Gardner
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
That is one cool tip!

--
Ken


"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Open the Command Prompt and type: SYSTEMINFO , and hit enter.

WTC
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ufUaNNrVFHA.1148@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> T. Waters wrote:
>> "systeminfo" was not recognized.
>> Just wanting to know where in the System Information tree I should
>> navigate to in order to find Uptime. Using the Search function within
>> System Info did not find it.
>
> Assuming Windows XP Professional:
> Create a batch script.. Call it "uptime.cmd".
>
> Put this in it:
>
> @systeminfo | find "System Up Time:"
> @pause
>
> Run the script.
> There's your uptime.
>
> This works as well:
> http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/management/uptime/default.asp
>
> (Try the /s switch.. Gives a history and more.)
>


"http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/management/uptime/default.asp
(Try the /s switch.. Gives a history and more.)"

This is what I use, with a cmd file.

---------------
@echo off

TITLE UPTIME FOR %USERDOMAIN%
d:\Programs\uptime.exe /s>"%temp%\uptime.txt"
cmd /c "%temp%\uptime.txt"
--------------------

--
William

Al Smith
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
> Hi, does anyone know how to tell how long a pc has been running for. I think
> this one has been on for weeks.
> Thanks.

The free program Everest Home will give you that information. I
noticed it going through the menus the other day. It's worth
having on your computer in any case.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

Jon
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
start > run > cmd /k "net statistics workstation"

(on the "statistics since" line)

Jon

"Scotch Monster %*}" <scotchmonster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e03VYjpVFHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi, does anyone know how to tell how long a pc has been running for. I
> think this one has been on for weeks.
> Thanks.
>

T. Waters
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
WTC wrote:
> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
> news:e8$LDLrVFHA.2572@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> WTC wrote:
>>> "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
>>> news:e7Zc%233qVFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>>> DevilsPGD wrote:
>>>>> In message <#a02i0pVFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl> "T. Waters"
>>>>> <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Sure, Monster:
>>>>>> Expand Software Environment (in the Left panel of System Info)
>>>>>> Click on Running Tasks
>>>>>> Certain tasks must run from the moment XP boots.
>>>>>> Explorer.exe is one of these.
>>>>>
>>>>> Explorer.exe only launches when a user logs in, and it will
>>>>> terminate when the user logs out. It is not useful for
>>>>> determining system uptime.
>>>>
>>>> So true, and thanks.
>>>> So, having failed to find "System Uptime" in System Information,
>>>> and I opened the entire tree, where the heck is it?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> In the Run dialog box (Start > Run) type
>>>
>>> cmd /k systeminfo
>>
>> "systeminfo" was not recognized.
>> Just wanting to know where in the System Information tree I should
>> navigate
>> to in order to find Uptime. Using the Search function within System
>> Info did
>> not find it.
>>
>>
>
>
> You will not find Uptime in System Information (msinfo32.exe).
>
> Are you running XP Home? I do not know if XP Home supports
> "systeminfo", maybe only XP Pro does.
>
> Systeminfo
>
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-
us/systeminfo.mspx

I use XP Home. That may be the cause.


System Up time