ewf ram-reg, inconsistent documentation



sam parker
07-09-2005, 09:25 PM
I've accumulated some experience booting XPe from a boot server but I need to
evaluate EWF using CF. I followed the instructions in "Configuring EWF Ram
Reg Mode"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xegrfconfiguringewframregoverlays.asp
but I needed to make a few assumptions when reality deviated from the
instructions.
1. In step 8 I found the registry entry HKLM...08002BE2092F} in the Class
Installer for Storage Components where it had a null value and included
ControlSet001 rather than CurrentControlSet in its path. I set the value to
EWF.
2. Steps 12 and 13 say reboot the system and make some checks. Step 14 says
reboot again and make another check. I saw no reason to boot twice and I did
an fbreseal when I was done.
3. In TD, I used the technique described in tip "Make Your Runtime Think
it's on C:\ While it's on Any Other Partition" which I hope does not
interfere with EWF configuration.
After transferring the post-FBA resealed image to CF it would not boot and I
simply got the message "Disk Error."

I looked for more documentation and found
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxpesp1/html/XPESP1_CF_EWF.asp
which says that the registry additions (enabling EWF) must be done after FBA
whereas the first doc says that these additions can be made with TD before
FBA. Which is right?

I also would like to better understand what really works with regard to CF
preparation. Out of the box my CF device was FAT16 formatted. I reformatted
it with XP administrator tools for FAT32 because I wished to avoid using
bootprep. The disk was "healthy", "active", and had a basic partition. Is
this adequate prepartation or would I be better off following a procedure
such as the one given in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xetbsconfiguringcompactflashdevice.asp
which provides a method for configuring CF with FAT16?

KM
07-09-2005, 09:25 PM
sam,

> I've accumulated some experience booting XPe from a boot server but I need
> to
> evaluate EWF using CF. I followed the instructions in "Configuring EWF
> Ram
> Reg Mode"
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xegrfconfiguringewframregoverlays.asp

This doc has some flows.
Make sure you have
[HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ewf\Parameters\Protected\Volume0],"Enabled"=dword:0
set in pre-FBA image.

> but I needed to make a few assumptions when reality deviated from the
> instructions.
> 1. In step 8 I found the registry entry HKLM...08002BE2092F} in the Class
> Installer for Storage Components where it had a null value and included
> ControlSet001 rather than CurrentControlSet in its path. I set the value
> to
> EWF.

The CurrentControlSet will be an alias to ControlSet001 at run time (unles
you explicetely switch the control set which may not be wise) soit doesn't
really matter what key path from both to use.

> 2. Steps 12 and 13 say reboot the system and make some checks.

#12 doesn't say "reboot" but just "boot" :-). Who knows how you finish your
FBA process - with shutdown or reboot.

> Step 14 says
> reboot again and make another check. I saw no reason to boot twice and I
> did
> an fbreseal when I was done.
> 3. In TD, I used the technique described in tip "Make Your Runtime Think
> it's on C:\ While it's on Any Other Partition" which I hope does not
> interfere with EWF configuration.

EWF protects partition by thier ARC path (specified in registry). No drive
letters yet.

> After transferring the post-FBA resealed image to CF it would not boot and
> I
> simply got the message "Disk Error."

What was the exact error message?
Who showed the message - BIOS, ntldr, kernel?
Make sure you CF card is bootable first.

> I looked for more documentation and found
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxpesp1/html/XPESP1_CF_EWF.asp
> which says that the registry additions (enabling EWF) must be done after
> FBA
> whereas the first doc says that these additions can be made with TD before
> FBA. Which is right?

You are mixing up SP1 and SP2 documentation. Although you can have EWF RAM
Reg mode set up in post-FBA and pre-FBA image.

> I also would like to better understand what really works with regard to CF
> preparation. Out of the box my CF device was FAT16 formatted. I
> reformatted
> it with XP administrator tools for FAT32 because I wished to avoid using

Was the card marked as fixed? Or is it removable?
Did you partition and fortmat the CF on the target? (e.g. using WinPE
environment) This would be critical to preserve target's disk geometry
parameters.

> bootprep. The disk was "healthy", "active", and had a basic partition.
> Is
> this adequate prepartation or would I be better off following a procedure
> such as the one given in
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xetbsconfiguringcompactflashdevice.asp
> which provides a method for configuring CF with FAT16?

First of all (and it is mentioned in the documentation) to ork with a CF
card you better stick with manufacturer provided tools to partition and
format it.
If not provided, your best choice would be using fdisk/DOS and
partition/format it on the target. Then use bootprep.

For testing purposes, have a non-zero timeout in boot.ini that you copy to
CF and make sure you get to the OS choice menu of the loader. This will
prove that you got the card bootable.

Most of the issues with CF boot, EWF Mode, etc have been discussed in this
NG so you may want to leverage the "KB" by searching in the NG archive:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8.

KM

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)
07-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Sam,

Some usefull component for Reg RAM EWF.
http://www.slobodanbrcin.com/xpe/ewf/regramewf.html

> ControlSet001 rather than CurrentControlSet in its path.
They are the same.

> I set the value to EWF.
UpperFilter value? It is missign or bad description in doc.

> 3. In TD, I used the technique described in tip "Make Your Runtime Think
> it's on C:\ While it's on Any Other Partition" which I hope does not
> interfere with EWF configuration.

No influence at all.

> After transferring the post-FBA resealed image to CF it would not boot and I
> simply got the message "Disk Error."

If you never seen splash screen then you have geometry problem and no EWF/XPe problem.

The safest way would be to use fdidk, format and bootprep on target machine.
Or if you know geometry that should be placed in BPB of FAT then you can specify that as advanced parameter of format in XP console.


Use this boot.ini to test if your geometry is ok.

[boot loader]
timeout=50
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XPe Test l" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XPe Test 2" /fastdetect

You need only this boot.ini and ntldr on your CF disk.
Regards,
Slobodan




"sam parker" <sam parker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0F93706-46A4-46F3-9689-BDE972C9788E@microsoft.com...
> I've accumulated some experience booting XPe from a boot server but I need to
> evaluate EWF using CF. I followed the instructions in "Configuring EWF Ram
> Reg Mode"
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xegrfconfiguringewframregoverlays.asp
> but I needed to make a few assumptions when reality deviated from the
> instructions.
> 1. In step 8 I found the registry entry HKLM...08002BE2092F} in the Class
> Installer for Storage Components where it had a null value and included
> ControlSet001 rather than CurrentControlSet in its path. I set the value to
> EWF.
> 2. Steps 12 and 13 say reboot the system and make some checks. Step 14 says
> reboot again and make another check. I saw no reason to boot twice and I did
> an fbreseal when I was done.
> 3. In TD, I used the technique described in tip "Make Your Runtime Think
> it's on C:\ While it's on Any Other Partition" which I hope does not
> interfere with EWF configuration.
> After transferring the post-FBA resealed image to CF it would not boot and I
> simply got the message "Disk Error."
>
> I looked for more documentation and found
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxpesp1/html/XPESP1_CF_EWF.asp
> which says that the registry additions (enabling EWF) must be done after FBA
> whereas the first doc says that these additions can be made with TD before
> FBA. Which is right?
>
> I also would like to better understand what really works with regard to CF
> preparation. Out of the box my CF device was FAT16 formatted. I reformatted
> it with XP administrator tools for FAT32 because I wished to avoid using
> bootprep. The disk was "healthy", "active", and had a basic partition. Is
> this adequate prepartation or would I be better off following a procedure
> such as the one given in
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xetbsconfiguringcompactflashdevice.asp
> which provides a method for configuring CF with FAT16?
>

sam parker
07-09-2005, 09:25 PM
KM and Slobodan,
Thanks for the rapid responses. I'm on my way back to the lab to try your
suggestions. However in the meantime I found another MSDN article named
"Using EWF with Cloning" that raised more questions (or should I say
confusion?). It says that the cmiResealPhase for the EWF component should be
changed to 0. It also seems to suggest that "rundll32 ewfdll.dll
ConfigureEwf" needs to be executed on every target *after* deployment. This
requirement makes updating many images (we might have 250) very difficult
unless it is possible to automate this process such that it runs only on the
first boot after deployment. Finally, despite the article's title, it
mentions RAM and Disk mode but does not say whether these requirements apply
to RAM-Reg mode. Can you comment on the accuracy of this article? Thanks
again.

Note - Slobodan: Would it be best to simply use your XpeFiles component and
forget all the vague and conflicting MSDN documentation?

Sam

"sam parker" wrote:

> I've accumulated some experience booting XPe from a boot server but I need to
> evaluate EWF using CF. I followed the instructions in "Configuring EWF Ram
> Reg Mode"
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xegrfconfiguringewframregoverlays.asp
> but I needed to make a few assumptions when reality deviated from the
> instructions.
> 1. In step 8 I found the registry entry HKLM...08002BE2092F} in the Class
> Installer for Storage Components where it had a null value and included
> ControlSet001 rather than CurrentControlSet in its path. I set the value to
> EWF.
> 2. Steps 12 and 13 say reboot the system and make some checks. Step 14 says
> reboot again and make another check. I saw no reason to boot twice and I did
> an fbreseal when I was done.
> 3. In TD, I used the technique described in tip "Make Your Runtime Think
> it's on C:\ While it's on Any Other Partition" which I hope does not
> interfere with EWF configuration.
> After transferring the post-FBA resealed image to CF it would not boot and I
> simply got the message "Disk Error."
>
> I looked for more documentation and found
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxpesp1/html/XPESP1_CF_EWF.asp
> which says that the registry additions (enabling EWF) must be done after FBA
> whereas the first doc says that these additions can be made with TD before
> FBA. Which is right?
>
> I also would like to better understand what really works with regard to CF
> preparation. Out of the box my CF device was FAT16 formatted. I reformatted
> it with XP administrator tools for FAT32 because I wished to avoid using
> bootprep. The disk was "healthy", "active", and had a basic partition. Is
> this adequate prepartation or would I be better off following a procedure
> such as the one given in
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xetbsconfiguringcompactflashdevice.asp
> which provides a method for configuring CF with FAT16?
>

KM
07-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Sam,

> Thanks for the rapid responses. I'm on my way back to the lab to try your
> suggestions. However in the meantime I found another MSDN article named
> "Using EWF with Cloning" that raised more questions (or should I say

Always include a link :-)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xecondesignconsiderationsforusingewfwithcloning.asp

> confusion?). It says that the cmiResealPhase for the EWF component should
> be

More precisely, for "System Cloning Tool" component.

> changed to 0. It also seems to suggest that "rundll32 ewfdll.dll
> ConfigureEwf" needs to be executed on every target *after* deployment.

This step is required if you use EWF RAM or DISK mode which rely on presence
of EWF Config (hidden) partition on every device the runtime is deployed to.
You, however, refered to EWF RAM REG mode which doesn't need the EWF Config
partition and can be enabled/disable through registry. This is the great
advantage of this Mode in Cloning scenerios.

> This requirement makes updating many images (we might have 250) very
> difficult

Exactly. That is the point to switch and use EWF RAM Reg.

> unless it is possible to automate this process such that it runs only on
> the

Almost everything is possible to automate. But you don't need that.

> first boot after deployment. Finally, despite the article's title, it
> mentions RAM and Disk mode but does not say whether these requirements
> apply
> to RAM-Reg mode.

It does not.

> Can you comment on the accuracy of this article? Thanks
> again.
>
> Note - Slobodan: Would it be best to simply use your XpeFiles component
> and
> forget all the vague and conflicting MSDN documentation?

With SP2 you may not need Slobodan's component. Basically SP2 EWF RAM Reg
Mode is just a documented way of using EWF with Slobodan's "hack" :-)

KM

> "sam parker" wrote:
>
>> I've accumulated some experience booting XPe from a boot server but I
>> need to
>> evaluate EWF using CF. I followed the instructions in "Configuring EWF
>> Ram
>> Reg Mode"
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xegrfconfiguringewframregoverlays.asp
>> but I needed to make a few assumptions when reality deviated from the
>> instructions.
>> 1. In step 8 I found the registry entry HKLM...08002BE2092F} in the
>> Class
>> Installer for Storage Components where it had a null value and included
>> ControlSet001 rather than CurrentControlSet in its path. I set the value
>> to
>> EWF.
>> 2. Steps 12 and 13 say reboot the system and make some checks. Step 14
>> says
>> reboot again and make another check. I saw no reason to boot twice and I
>> did
>> an fbreseal when I was done.
>> 3. In TD, I used the technique described in tip "Make Your Runtime Think
>> it's on C:\ While it's on Any Other Partition" which I hope does not
>> interfere with EWF configuration.
>> After transferring the post-FBA resealed image to CF it would not boot
>> and I
>> simply got the message "Disk Error."
>>
>> I looked for more documentation and found
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxpesp1/html/XPESP1_CF_EWF.asp
>> which says that the registry additions (enabling EWF) must be done after
>> FBA
>> whereas the first doc says that these additions can be made with TD
>> before
>> FBA. Which is right?
>>
>> I also would like to better understand what really works with regard to
>> CF
>> preparation. Out of the box my CF device was FAT16 formatted. I
>> reformatted
>> it with XP administrator tools for FAT32 because I wished to avoid using
>> bootprep. The disk was "healthy", "active", and had a basic partition.
>> Is
>> this adequate prepartation or would I be better off following a procedure
>> such as the one given in
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xetbsconfiguringcompactflashdevice.asp
>> which provides a method for configuring CF with FAT16?
>>

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)
07-09-2005, 09:25 PM
> > Note - Slobodan: Would it be best to simply use your XpeFiles component
> > and
> > forget all the vague and conflicting MSDN documentation?
>
> With SP2 you may not need Slobodan's component. Basically SP2 EWF RAM Reg
> Mode is just a documented way of using EWF with Slobodan's "hack" :-)

Actually component in the link is for SP2 only and it will easy your configuration or Reg RAM EWF. Just add it and don't think about
EWF problems as missing doc, etc.

> Mode is just a documented way of using EWF with Slobodan's "hack" :-)

My hack, it is not my hack. I think that it was mentioned by MS somewhere before I even used it.

Regards,
Slobodan

KM
07-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Slobodan,

>> With SP2 you may not need Slobodan's component. Basically SP2 EWF RAM Reg
>> Mode is just a documented way of using EWF with Slobodan's "hack" :-)
>
> Actually component in the link is for SP2 only and it will easy your
> configuration or Reg RAM EWF. Just add it and don't think about
> EWF problems as missing doc, etc.

Actually, I got it working with EWF RAM Reg on SP2 on multiple volumes
without a problem. But I "knew" and was careful around "Enabled" and
"UpperFilter" values.
In my opinion, Microsoft EWF component must have a third option for RAM Reg
and the component script should be responsible for setting up all the
required values.

Regards,
Konstantin

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)
07-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Konstantin,

> >> With SP2 you may not need Slobodan's component. Basically SP2 EWF RAM Reg
> >> Mode is just a documented way of using EWF with Slobodan's "hack" :-)
> >
> > Actually component in the link is for SP2 only and it will easy your
> > configuration or Reg RAM EWF. Just add it and don't think about
> > EWF problems as missing doc, etc.
>
> Actually, I got it working with EWF RAM Reg on SP2 on multiple volumes
> without a problem. But I "knew" and was careful around "Enabled" and
> "UpperFilter" values.
> In my opinion, Microsoft EWF component must have a third option for RAM Reg
> and the component script should be responsible for setting up all the
> required values.

Yup. Told them that long time ago :-(

Regards,
Slobodan


ewf ram-reg, inconsistent documentation