keyboard problem



Free
07-10-2005, 12:22 AM
I have XP pro, my system is a Gateway 400 MHz Pent 2 (I know it's old!). My
keyboard is not working.

I spilt coffee on the keyboard. I opened it up and cleaned eveything.
The keyboard is getting power since the LED lights blink and sometimes the
scroll lock LED is on.
The PCU does not acknowledge any keystrokes -- I opened device manager and
it says the keyboard is working fine.
I have tried updating the drivers 5 X.
In the help wizard it suggests uninstalling the driver but this is not an
option (that button is not available under the properties menu). The help
wizard seems worthless!
I even tried the on-screen keyboard without success!

I know that it would likely be easier just to but a new keyboard, but if
someone has a suggestion re: troubleshooting this one, it would save me from
going to the store!

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)
07-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Free

Downloading the latest drivers do not overcome the problems caused by coffee
being spilt on it..

You have answered your own question.. so pick a store..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm





"Free" <Free@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B6A770D5-1C8C-48AE-A91B-9DD56E722970@microsoft.com...
>I have XP pro, my system is a Gateway 400 MHz Pent 2 (I know it's old!).
>My
> keyboard is not working.
>
> I spilt coffee on the keyboard. I opened it up and cleaned eveything.
> The keyboard is getting power since the LED lights blink and sometimes the
> scroll lock LED is on.
> The PCU does not acknowledge any keystrokes -- I opened device manager and
> it says the keyboard is working fine.
> I have tried updating the drivers 5 X.
> In the help wizard it suggests uninstalling the driver but this is not an
> option (that button is not available under the properties menu). The help
> wizard seems worthless!
> I even tried the on-screen keyboard without success!
>
> I know that it would likely be easier just to but a new keyboard, but if
> someone has a suggestion re: troubleshooting this one, it would save me
> from
> going to the store!
>

T. Waters
07-10-2005, 12:22 AM
And save yourself some time.

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Free
>
> Downloading the latest drivers do not overcome the problems caused by
> coffee being spilt on it..
>
> You have answered your own question.. so pick a store..
>
>
> "Free" <Free@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B6A770D5-1C8C-48AE-A91B-9DD56E722970@microsoft.com...
>> I have XP pro, my system is a Gateway 400 MHz Pent 2 (I know it's
>> old!). My
>> keyboard is not working.
>>
>> I spilt coffee on the keyboard. I opened it up and cleaned
>> eveything. The keyboard is getting power since the LED lights blink
>> and sometimes the scroll lock LED is on.
>> The PCU does not acknowledge any keystrokes -- I opened device
>> manager and it says the keyboard is working fine.
>> I have tried updating the drivers 5 X.
>> In the help wizard it suggests uninstalling the driver but this is
>> not an option (that button is not available under the properties
>> menu). The help wizard seems worthless!
>> I even tried the on-screen keyboard without success!
>>
>> I know that it would likely be easier just to but a new keyboard,
>> but if someone has a suggestion re: troubleshooting this one, it
>> would save me from
>> going to the store!

Al Smith
07-10-2005, 12:22 AM
> I have XP pro, my system is a Gateway 400 MHz Pent 2 (I know it's old!). My
> keyboard is not working.
>
> I spilt coffee on the keyboard. I opened it up and cleaned eveything.
> The keyboard is getting power since the LED lights blink and sometimes the
> scroll lock LED is on.

You killed it. Now you're trying to bring it back from the dead.
That only works on IBM keyboards. Buy a new one.


keyboard problem