Search inside Windows Explorer doesn't always find (all the) files



GerryP777
07-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Search inside Windows Explorer doesn't always find files (even within the
same folder ie not subfolders)

Any ideas why or what's happening ? Thanks, Gerry

ps: there was also one time, when the nasty Trojan TannickB was around, when
I searched for folder zztp and it said "There was one file found" but
actually displayed none!

da_test
07-09-2005, 11:22 PM
On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:46:07 -0700, GerryP777
<GerryP777@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Search inside Windows Explorer doesn't always find files (even within the
>same folder ie not subfolders)
>
>Any ideas why or what's happening ? Thanks, Gerry
>
>ps: there was also one time, when the nasty Trojan TannickB was around, when
>I searched for folder zztp and it said "There was one file found" but
>actually displayed none!
XP search is worthless . Download and use Agent Ransack:
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/download.aspx

The search in Win2k worked well, so who knows what they were
thinking when they designed the "search companion" ?

Dave

frodo@theshire.org
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
GerryP777 <GerryP777@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Search inside Windows Explorer doesn't always find files (even within the
> same folder ie not subfolders)

more info required.

if searching for "text within the file", then you need to know that it
only looks inside certain types of file, not all files. SP1+2 added lots
of filetypes to the list, but still not all. google around and you can
find workarounds (check kelly's site:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

if you search within files a lot, you should not use the built-in XP
searcher, get the Google Desktop Search or Yahoo Desktop Search, they are
much better at this.

----

if searching by filename, go into the advacned search options and check
the other options (search system and hidden files, etc).

GerryP777
07-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Hi Frodo+Dave, thanks both.

Mostly, my searching is for part of a file-name, rather than file contents
(though I do that occasionally).
I'll try the other things. Thanks, Gerry :o)

"frodo@theshire.org" wrote:

> GerryP777 <GerryP777@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Search inside Windows Explorer doesn't always find files (even within the
> > same folder ie not subfolders)
>
> more info required.
>
> if searching for "text within the file", then you need to know that it
> only looks inside certain types of file, not all files. SP1+2 added lots
> of filetypes to the list, but still not all. google around and you can
> find workarounds (check kelly's site:
>
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> if you search within files a lot, you should not use the built-in XP
> searcher, get the Google Desktop Search or Yahoo Desktop Search, they are
> much better at this.
>
> ----
>
> if searching by filename, go into the advacned search options and check
> the other options (search system and hidden files, etc).
>

frodo@theshire.org
07-09-2005, 11:32 PM
GerryP777 <GerryP777@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mostly, my searching is for part of a file-name, rather than file contents
> (though I do that occasionally).

Then Yahoo Desktop Search is the tool of choice. Another good tool that
does ONLY filename searches is Burn Rubber.


Search inside Windows Explorer doesn't always find (all the) files