Internet Cookies



Brian R
07-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Question = I recently deleted my cookies and files using the tools - internet
options however it has erased all the website logos but saved the internet
addresses,

Does anyone know how I can restore the cookies so they show the internet
site logo's

Thanks,

BR.

Alias
07-09-2005, 11:22 PM
More information, please.

Which browser are you using?

When you say "logos", you mean the icons that appear in your favorites and
up in the address field? If you use IE, they disapear no matter what you do.
If you use Firefox, they won't.

Alias
"Brian R" <Brian R@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:47AD622B-FE2F-4F90-94C0-1B0F115A6E49@microsoft.com...
> Question = I recently deleted my cookies and files using the tools -
> internet
> options however it has erased all the website logos but saved the internet
> addresses,
>
> Does anyone know how I can restore the cookies so they show the internet
> site logo's
>
> Thanks,
>
> BR.

Brian R
07-09-2005, 11:22 PM
I'm using Internet Explorer and you will have to excuse my lack of "
technical know how " the best way to describe the problem is
e.g I have said ebay as one of my favourites and the ebay logo was present
to the left handside, however since deleting the cookies the ebay icon has
disappeared and has been replaced by the i.e. explorer sign with a white
sheet of paper behind it and the same has happened to all my other
favourites,
In addition to this my desktop has not remembered any of my logon names and
passwords ( if that assists with a diagnosis )

"Alias" wrote:

> More information, please.
>
> Which browser are you using?
>
> When you say "logos", you mean the icons that appear in your favorites and
> up in the address field? If you use IE, they disapear no matter what you do.
> If you use Firefox, they won't.
>
> Alias
> "Brian R" <Brian R@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:47AD622B-FE2F-4F90-94C0-1B0F115A6E49@microsoft.com...
> > Question = I recently deleted my cookies and files using the tools -
> > internet
> > options however it has erased all the website logos but saved the internet
> > addresses,
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can restore the cookies so they show the internet
> > site logo's
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > BR.
>
>
>

Fuzzy Logic
07-09-2005, 11:22 PM
"=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gUg==?=" <Brian R@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
news:CBF1CB53-6C30-4591-850D-DEEA1CEA5405@microsoft.com:

> I'm using Internet Explorer and you will have to excuse my lack of "
> technical know how " the best way to describe the problem is
> e.g I have said ebay as one of my favourites and the ebay logo was
> present to the left handside, however since deleting the cookies the
> ebay icon has disappeared and has been replaced by the i.e. explorer
> sign with a white sheet of paper behind it and the same has happened to
> all my other favourites,
> In addition to this my desktop has not remembered any of my logon names
> and passwords ( if that assists with a diagnosis )

The logos are called favicons. They are normally stored in your browser
cache and were deleted when you emptied your cache. You need a program like
Favorg to properly maintain them. Logon names are often stored in cookies.
Since you deleted the cookies you no longer have that information.

> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> More information, please.
>>
>> Which browser are you using?
>>
>> When you say "logos", you mean the icons that appear in your favorites
>> and up in the address field? If you use IE, they disapear no matter
>> what you do. If you use Firefox, they won't.
>>
>> Alias
>> "Brian R" <Brian R@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:47AD622B-FE2F-4F90-94C0-1B0F115A6E49@microsoft.com...
>> > Question = I recently deleted my cookies and files using the tools -
>> > internet
>> > options however it has erased all the website logos but saved the
>> > internet addresses,
>> >
>> > Does anyone know how I can restore the cookies so they show the
>> > internet site logo's
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > BR.
>>
>>
>>
>

Ken Gardner
07-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Alias wrote:

> When you say "logos", you mean the icons that appear in your favorites and
> up in the address field? If you use IE, they disapear no matter what you do.
> If you use Firefox, they won't.

A workaround exists. IE 6.0 stores icons in the Temporary Internet Files
folder. Copy the icons from that folder to another folder. Rename it from
"favicon" to something distinctive (e.g. "ESPN.ico" for ESPN icons -- be sure
to use the .ico extension).

To make the icon permanent, right-click on the website shortcut in IE (or in
the Favorites folder in C:\documents and settings\%username%\favorites).
Click "Change Icon," then navigate to the newly copied icon file.

Ken

Alias
07-09-2005, 11:22 PM
"Ken Gardner" <KenGardner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BE39EC11-CBD6-4F03-90EA-16F856101D1E@microsoft.com...
> Alias wrote:
>
>> When you say "logos", you mean the icons that appear in your favorites
>> and
>> up in the address field? If you use IE, they disapear no matter what you
>> do.
>> If you use Firefox, they won't.
>
> A workaround exists. IE 6.0 stores icons in the Temporary Internet Files
> folder. Copy the icons from that folder to another folder. Rename it
> from
> "favicon" to something distinctive (e.g. "ESPN.ico" for ESPN icons -- be
> sure
> to use the .ico extension).
>
> To make the icon permanent, right-click on the website shortcut in IE (or
> in
> the Favorites folder in C:\documents and settings\%username%\favorites).
> Click "Change Icon," then navigate to the newly copied icon file.
>
> Ken

Easier to use Firefox.

Alias

Rock
07-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Brian R wrote:

> Question = I recently deleted my cookies and files using the tools - internet
> options however it has erased all the website logos but saved the internet
> addresses,
>
> Does anyone know how I can restore the cookies so they show the internet
> site logo's
>
> Thanks,
>
> BR.

They are called favicons. See this link for info on saving them:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Click on "F" the scroll down to Favorite Icons are Missing

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User


Internet Cookies