Auto loading one of my templates



Mike Seddon
07-09-2005, 11:05 PM
When I open a new document, it always loads normal.dot as the
template.

I would like to be able to load word with my own template already
preselected.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Mike

Margaret Aldis
07-09-2005, 11:05 PM
The easiest solution is usually to put a shortcut to the template on your
desktop or start menu. Double-clicking then creates a new document from the
template.

It's also possible to edit the properties of the program shortcut to include
a /t switch. Details in the Help under "Customizing how Word starts.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org


"Mike Seddon" <mike.sd@btinternt.com> wrote in message
news:42ce6619.16523509@news.btinternet.com...
> When I open a new document, it always loads normal.dot as the
> template.
>
> I would like to be able to load word with my own template already
> preselected.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Stan Brown
07-09-2005, 11:05 PM
On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:51:43 +0100, "Margaret Aldis"
<Margaret.Aldis@mvps.(SpamStopper)org.invalid> wrote:

>The easiest solution is usually to put a shortcut to the template on your
>desktop or start menu. Double-clicking then creates a new document from the
>template.
>
>It's also possible to edit the properties of the program shortcut to include
>a /t switch. Details in the Help under "Customizing how Word starts.

The problem with that approach is that the shortcut to Word doesn't
have an editable target, and therefore I can't add a command-line
argument.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

Suzanne S. Barnhill
07-09-2005, 11:05 PM
The shortcuts that Office creates when it installs are in fact not editable.
But you can create your own.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:089uc15addiohf9a6ouqtuobinfpj3vsjm@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:51:43 +0100, "Margaret Aldis"
> <Margaret.Aldis@mvps.(SpamStopper)org.invalid> wrote:
>
> >The easiest solution is usually to put a shortcut to the template on your
> >desktop or start menu. Double-clicking then creates a new document from
the
> >template.
> >
> >It's also possible to edit the properties of the program shortcut to
include
> >a /t switch. Details in the Help under "Customizing how Word starts.
>
> The problem with that approach is that the shortcut to Word doesn't
> have an editable target, and therefore I can't add a command-line
> argument.
>
> --
> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
> -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

JR
07-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Use windows explorer or search to find the file "winword.exe"
Right click the file name and then "send to" desktop (create a shortcut).
You now have an editable shortcut to word on your desktop
John



"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:089uc15addiohf9a6ouqtuobinfpj3vsjm@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:51:43 +0100, "Margaret Aldis"
> <Margaret.Aldis@mvps.(SpamStopper)org.invalid> wrote:
>
>>The easiest solution is usually to put a shortcut to the template on your
>>desktop or start menu. Double-clicking then creates a new document from
>>the
>>template.
>>
>>It's also possible to edit the properties of the program shortcut to
>>include
>>a /t switch. Details in the Help under "Customizing how Word starts.
>
> The problem with that approach is that the shortcut to Word doesn't
> have an editable target, and therefore I can't add a command-line
> argument.
>
> --
> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
> -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

Stan Brown
07-09-2005, 11:05 PM
On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 21:00:48 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
<sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote:

>
>"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>news:089uc15addiohf9a6ouqtuobinfpj3vsjm@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:51:43 +0100, "Margaret Aldis"
>> <Margaret.Aldis@mvps.(SpamStopper)org.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> >The easiest solution is usually to put a shortcut to the template on your
>> >desktop or start menu. Double-clicking then creates a new document from the
>> >template.
>> >
>> >It's also possible to edit the properties of the program shortcut to include
>> >a /t switch. Details in the Help under "Customizing how Word starts.
>>
>> The problem with that approach is that the shortcut to Word doesn't
>> have an editable target, and therefore I can't add a command-line
>> argument.

>The shortcuts that Office creates when it installs are in fact not editable.
>But you can create your own.

That's true, but I temporarily forgot; thanks for the reminder.

Any idea why Microsoft decided to create non-editable shortcuts
instead of editable shortcuts?

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)


Auto loading one of my templates